How You Can Help Those Affected by Hurricane Harvey
As many rescue officials in our neighboring state are struggling to respond to the immense destruction brought by Harvey this past weekend, it left many of us anxiously tracking the storm from our televisions across the country and wondering how we can help. According to Ryan Maue with WeatherBell, after the storm dissipates it will have dropped 25 trillion gallons of rain on Texas. National Weather Service officials are suggesting that the storm could be the worst the U.S. has ever seen.
There are multiple non-profit organizations that are working to organize relief for those affected.
- The American Red Cross is urging people to call 1-800-RED-CROSS or text HARVEY to 90999 to make a $10 donation for those in need.
- Catholic Charities USA is asking that you text CCUSADISASTER to 71777 to donate.
- The Coastal Bend Disaster Recovery Group is a non-profit agency that provides long term assistance to areas recovering from natural disasters. You can visit their website to donate or volunteer www.CoastalBendCan.org/CBDRG
- The Salvation Army- You can donate at 1-800-SAL-ARMY or http://helpsalvationarmy.org
- Junior League of New Orleans has organized an Amazon wish list for collecting diapers to be shipped to its New Orleans headquarters and distributed. The list may be viewed here; the Junior League’s Facebook page is here, and its website is https://www.jlno.org/.
- Dirty Coast, a Nola t-shirt printing company, is donating proceeds of a $28 specialty shirt to the Houston Food Bank. The t-shirt may be ordered here. Dirty Coast’s website is https://dirtycoast.com/.
Holmes Honda is praying for those in our neighboring state that have been affected by Hurricane Harvey.